Wednesday, November 5, 2008

wha??

Kiddo came home from school today, sort of upset because of what the kids at school were saying about Barack Obama. Now, I know they were just repeating what their (mainly conservative/Republican) parents said about him, but this bothered me immensely. "They said Obama is going to bring the war here! And that he's going to brainwash all of us!" *sigh* I know there was more, but she didn't get into all of it.

I told her that their parents were upset he'd won because most Mormons/LDS are Republican/conservative because of a few key issues that Democrats typically support that Mormons do not, and that she's still okay for seeing things differently than they do. We talked about gay marriage (I support civil unions which protect gays' legal rights, but not marriage) and why those legal rights should be protected, and why the Church doesn't support marriage. And we talked about bringing the troops home makes some people believe the war will come to our turf. And a few other rough questions.

I know the "brainwash" comment has to do with Obama being a moving, inspiring speaker -- I've heard a few things about "brainwashing" before. Which is why I appreciated the post I linked below from Sue. She said everything I wanted to say but didn't know how.

Regardless of who and what you vote for, being disrespectful in how you discuss those issues will never teach our children how to treat others the Lord's way. It is really bothering me that other members of our faith are saying such horrible things to kiddo about Obama, and also about people who voted for him. I know their parents are probably spouting off at home about this, and that really bothers me. What happened to Gospel teachings of loving your neighbor? The Savior never said to only love those who agree with you.

After the discussion, kiddo told me that she'd told them all that they can still be friends, even though her candidate won and theirs lost, because everything was going to be okay. lol.

Anyway. I just have to say, I am not brain washed. I am not brain washing my child, unless teaching her from Gospel principles counts as brain washing. I teach her the Gospel, which I believe also teaches to love your fellow man, even if they don't believe the same way you do. I have had to answer questions from her about sex, teen pregnancy, STDs, gays and lesbians, drinking, smoking, drugs, marriage in and out of the temple, and recently we've dealt with my SIL's pregnancy as well. I don't avoid the hard questions and, thus, she and I both know where the other stands on those things at this time. I teach her from the Gospel's standpoint in all of it, reminding her that just because someone chooses those things doesn't mean God hates them. They are still His children and He still loves them, even if they don't know it or regardless of whether they know they are sinning. We are all sinners -- some of us LDS members have our own "pet" sins as well, and any of them will keep us out of the Kingdom.

What's more is that my loving daughter teaches ME about love and forgiveness, and she recognizes when there's a problem with someone at school or at home, and she brings those things to me for answers. I bet I could sweep them under the rug like other parents do, but I refuse. She has to know the truth, and I give her truths as the Savior taught: Line upon line, precept upon precept. Am I perfect? Not by a long shot. But I love my child and want her to be able to make the best, informed decisions in her own life that she can. I know she may choose to do things that I don't agree with and that go against Gospel principles, but unless she is educated and informed of the consequences of those choices, I cannot feel I have done my job as a parent.

And if she wants to put Obama in office as president because he's black and he knows more about our economy than McCain, and McCain and Palin creep her out, more power to her. I know I said that wasn't enough just a few posts ago, but maybe it is.

No comments: