Saturday, December 5, 2009

Thank you Santa (and Dad)

My dad worked for the state prison for a very, very long time. Every Thanksgiving, they would give their employees a free turkey, which came in quite handy for our large family while we were growing up.

Dad retired about 12? years ago (right mom?). I didn't think we'd keep getting turkeys, but they did and do keep providing them for our family. My folks and I moved to Oregon in 2000, and I think we all sort of forgot about the turkeys. When I moved back to Utah, leaving my folks in Oregon, Dad's friend, Santa, started making sure our family got Dad's turkey. About 5 years ago, they switched from turkeys to gift cards to Harmon's. Santa always brings it to me, and my brother and sister and I have taken turns using it -- though not consistent you, me, him, it's been more random.

This year, I opted to keep it for the first time in quite a while. Harmon's is possibly one of the most expensive stores in the area, and I don't think I've *ever* shopped there. We didn't need a turkey, as I'd picked one up for super cheap at Smith's the week before Thanksgiving and didn't get the card until two days before Thanksgiving. I just held onto the card, knowing this time of year financially things get sort of tight for our family and that we've been sick a lot, so would probably have some necessities come up soon. I was right. Thanks to Santa and Dad, I was able to get us taken care of.

With the way things have been with the baby being sick this week, then me and my husband, we had run out of a few things and money, and man, that gift card came in handy. Eggs, bread, spaghetti sauce, ground beef, a frozen pizza, and more sprite used up the gift card. They were all necessities, as we've survived on scrambled eggs and toast for breakfast and spaghetti for lunch lately (this pregnancy, spaghetti is one of the things I can always keep down). I still have noodles from a stock up trip before, so I didn't need to get more (and at their prices, I was thrilled to not have to get them!). We're almost out of Sprite, which is a stomach flu friendly drink. Kiddo wanted the pizza, and I grabbed sushi (paid cash for it) at Harmon's, which was nice that they had it. A month late, but the husband finally got his birthday sushi.

There were a few things I liked about the store, even with the higher prices. It was very clean and easy to find everything on my list. The employees were very friendly, even the sample lady giving out samples of apple cider (which both my kids enjoyed). They don't take groceries to your car, but they have a "park and load" service: You bring your car to the loading area, and they load your groceries for you. I opted not to use that, though. The sushi thing, we'll probably grab more there next time he wants some because, while it wasn't the best we've had, it was way better than some of the other inexpensive places we've tried. But we choose not to go to the BEST place often because we spend $60 or more for just the two of us there. So it's a good alternative for those times when he wants it and we don't have the cash or time for the expensive place.

It started snowing while we were there and Little Mister thought that was neat. He kept staring out the window and pointing while I was buckling him in.

Too bad Kiddo's pizza didn't stick. She is now sick with the flu bug. Thank heavens I bought more Sprite and bread so she can have toast and some icy cold, tummy-settling Sprite tomorrow.

2 comments:

MamaBear said...

i'm so glad that worked out for you! isn't it nice remembering a gift card in times of need? i'm supposed to get a couple here really soon and they are definitely (or defiantly) needed...

Jules AF said...

I'm sorry your whole family has gotten sick. That sucks hardcore!
And I like MamaBear's defiantly. haha