Friday, December 11, 2009

I'm going to be in bigger trouble tomorrow

So, tonight, the husband and I had a "discussion" about how to discipline our daughter. We came to terms with each other and had a cuddle, and then he went to work.

Or tried to.

Those of you on facebook know I killed the car's battery tonight.

He was not pleased.

The overhead lights in the garage have been dead for well over a month. I bought new bulbs, showed my husband where they were, and asked him to take care of it. We have 10-foot ceilings in the garage and most of the house (and where it's not 10 feet, it's much, much higher), so there is NO way I can reach the bulbs to change them at a short 5 foot 5 inches. He can reach from a stool because he is tall and has long arms and said he'd get to it, he'd take care of it, blah blah blah.

He didn't.

So tonight when I got home from the store, it was pretty dark in the garage and I needed to see to put some things away down there. I left the headlights on, thinking, "I'll turn them right off." Then the baby started freaking out and Kiddo started arguing with me and whining ... which continued all night, hence the "dicussion" with the husband. ANYWAY. I forgot. Completely forgot to turn the lights off. And even though it's a 2005, it doesn't have an auto shutoff feature. Lame.

He was pretty upset with me for leaving them on. It drained the battery completely. His brother didn't answer his phone, so I called the home teacher. He came right over (in his jammies -- I feel so bad) and tried to jump start the car. It made very quiet noises, but would not start. He offered to give hubby a ride to work, which hubby refused for a few minutes, then realized he really ought to go in (he'd called off twice this week from a bipolar crash, so we really needed him to be there tonight). So the home teacher took him.

Home teachers are awesome.

So I called his brother again, called my sister (who was with her husband at his work Christmas party so they couldn't talk), and ended up messaging hubby's sister because I didn't have his mom's cell phone number. Hubby's sister had their mom call me, and they are going to pick him up in the morning and help us get a battery from the auto place down the road. If it wasn't so cold and so far with two kids, I'd walk. Anyway.

I got to thinking. This really is THE HUSBAND's fault because he wouldn't change the damn light bulbs. It finally dawned on me that we have one of those rods for changing bulbs, but we've only used it for the floods in the living space in our vaulted ceilings so I didn't think about using it to change the regular sized bulbs in the garage. BUT, it came with a regular sized bulb attachment. I found the correct attachment and changed them myself.

He's going to be madder about that than anything -- hates when I ask him to do something and do it myself, but really. Over a month? That's plenty of time, dearest. I'm done waiting.

I even found a video online on how to change the battery in a PT Cruiser, which we needed because PT Cruisers are stupid and the battery is underneath the air intake compartment. You have to remove that and the filter and the air box before you can even try to take out the battery. I'll show the video to him, but if he doesn't change it, I'm going to do it myself. ROAR.

EDIT: Okay, so I was grouchy last night and my intent didn't come across. I wasn't really blaming the husband for the car, that was a joke. I was upset about it and the dead lights in the garage, but realize that it just happened and the blame game isn't one I really play. So ... yeah.

3 comments:

Jules AF said...

Man, I'm sorry about your car battery. That totally sucks! I had my car battery die on me earlier this year. It sucked like no other!

steph said...

I have to say, I'm bothered that you are blaming it all on him. Accidents just happen. So he didn't change the bulbs and so you left the lights on and it caused inconvenience. We're all human. Trying to make sure it is someone's fault at this point really is kind of pointless.

Sorry... just bothered by that I guess - not trying to take sides.

Kristina P. said...

I'm glad you're feeling better this morning. It sucks.