Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Pumpkin Muffins

This is a zucchini bread recipe, but you can use pumpkin or applesauce in place of the zucchini. It was my friend's mom's recipe, who gave it to my mom when we lived in the same ward when we were kids. A couple of years ago for Enrichment, we made all three kinds plus some other quick breads for the refreshments, and it went over quite well. Works well for muffins, mini muffins, or bread.

1 c brown sugar
1 c white sugar
1 c oil
3 eggs
2 c grated zucchini (or pumpkin puree or applesauce)
3 c flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp cloves
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp cinnamon
12 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 c chopped nuts*
1 c raisins*
1 c chocolate chips*

*is optional; i only use the chocolate with the pumpkin. i wouldn't use all three in any of them. ew.

Preheat oven to 325. Beat eggs; gradually add in sugars and oil. Combine dry ingredients in a separate bowl. Add to first mixture alternately with zucchini. Stir in rains/nuts/chips and vanilla. Pour into two slightly greased and floured 9 x 5 loaf pans. Bake at 325 for one hour. Let stand 10 min before removing from pans.

*I did mini muffins, spraying the pan with pam in between each batch. They only took 14-15 min to cook each batch, and they turned out beautifully. Probably made 4 to 6 doz mini muffins, hard to know since I made a double batch and they disappeared as soon as they were out of the oven, and I gave away 4 dozen.

*****

Munchkin (the pickest eater EVER) gobbled them up. So mamafjord, I'm not so weird. :P

5 comments:

steph k said...

ohhhh.... those AREN'T the easy ones...

evitafjord said...

I'm just having a hard time understanding how it happened. How did someone one day say, hmm, you know what these pumpkin muffins need? Chocolate????? Chocolate? Hey, do you know what this steak needs? Chocolate! :-P

stewbert said...

No, they're not super easy. They do take a bit longer to mix, but they are delish.

Dawn ... Chocolate on steak and other meats (esp chicken) is very South American cuisine. Can't remember what it's called right now ...

evitafjord said...

Mole? Yeah, that creeps me out too lol.

I can't say that I will make the pumpkin/cc muffins, but if I come across them (let's assume at Relief Society lol), I will try them and I won't even plug my nose like I used to with broccoli.

stewbert said...

Yeah, that's it! Mole. I can't say I've ever tried it, but wouldn't be adverse to it.

LOL, RS is a good place to assume that.