Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Nostalgia

I had a sudden nostalgia for my crappy little apartment from which Kiddo and I moved just about 5 years ago.

It was a two-bedroom one-bath place, small kitchen, no dishwasher, and really wasn't big enough for us. The whole apartment could fit in our current great room.

We lived there for over a year and had shared an apartment the exact same size with Kaje and her son for about 9 months, so two years total in that size space.

I seem to remember having less clutter, less mess, and generally less to do. Keeping it clean wasn't as hard as this place is -- and our condo isn't that big! We just have too much junk and all of us get overwhelmed with the amount of STUFF there is.

Not that I want to move back there (it really wouldn't work for our family now), but I'm really seeing the value in getting rid of stuff we don't use or need. Simplifying what we have. Using the oodles of fabric I have in various places throughout the house. Getting rid of fabric and yarn I'm not going to use and projects I'm not going to finish. Toys and books the kids don't use/read. Clothes that are too small. Stuff the husband has collected over the years, including spare computer parts, though I'll have a harder time convincing him of that.

Aside from tossing everything we have, we also need to be better at organizing everything we do keep. I need some way to store toys better (empty diaper boxes aren't cutting it) and a bigger bookcase and nicer desk for kiddo's room.

I also need serious help getting the garage under control. I had it cleaned out really well, but again, clutter has taken over!

Maybe someday I'll get everything done.

And then it will be time to move.

4 comments:

Jules AF said...

Clutter is taking over my house too. Stupid crap.

MamaBear said...

i have bought the big 18-gallon-or-so size bins in batches of 10 at a time several times when the organizing bug bites. but now i can't b/c i'm broke and they're $4 a pop! but you could buy them a couple at a time and they help immensely. also good when you have a floody basement later on, you put them on the bottom of stacks of stuff in storage, et voila!

steph k said...

Seriously... I clean out clutter all the time (just ask molly... I'm always moving crap around)... but I still feel like throwing EVERYTHING away sometimes!

musicmom said...

YOu know I have felt the same way, before moving here we lived in a 900 sq foot house with 6 of us. Yes we were cramped, but I didn't collect stuff because I had no room for it. Now I have a house more than twice that size and I am always tripping over clutter. Go figure. Anyway, So I am with you too.
I am also a fan of sterilite/rubbermade. When they go on sale, I buy tow or three, and that is what about half of my storage and the kids toys are in. They really do help. When that someday comes and you get everything done, come help me with mine. :)