Friday, January 11, 2008

Politics

Hate them. Hate how people treat each other in "debates." Hate that anyone (online) who disagrees with a group of folks is lambasted up one side and down the other.

One of the candidates sent mail to MY house to my EX, who has never lived here, doesn't even know where I live, and sure as hell didn't help ME buy this place. My ex is a convicted felon and can't even vote anyway. I refuse to vote for them regardless of where they stand on the issues.

Doesn't matter much though -- IF they win the republican nomination, my vote (in UTAH) against them won't really amount to much anyway.

Ahem.

I've been trying to pay some attention to information online from each of the candidates, but hi, how many elected presidents have kept many (or any) of their campaign promises?

At any rate, I do believe our country needs change. Serious change. REAL change. And I don't believe putting the country in the hands of the other one of the two families who have been running it for two decades is the best idea either. *sigh*

I guess what made me want to say SOMETHING to ANYONE about this is that my sister posted something on her blog about how her family is all about Republicans and that we do what we're told, and that we teach that Republicans are good and Democrats will take your children to hell. (she's a Democrat).

I've never been taught that. I've never even HEARD that. Granted, my dad is pretty staunch republican and my brother gets fired up when I talk about anything not in his party lines, but to be lumped in with the rest of the family like that (and hi, my other sister and my mom aren't that way!) ... sets my teeth on edge. Gah.

I believe we need serious healthcare reform. I believe we need a stronger economy. I believe the war in Iraq needs to end. I believe tax breaks for corporations who take jobs away from American citizens and send them overseas should stop. Now. Those jobs where private citizen information (ssn, birthdate, any identity thieving information) should be back on OUR soil where OUR laws are enforceable. Immigration needs reform. That one is a gray area for me more than any other right now because of how my husband's family got here (they're all legal now). But it needs help.

I don't care who you vote for this year, just do some research and get out and VOTE.

I'm done with ranting. Have a fantabulous day.

***************************

Edited to add: My sister called this evening. I left a comment or two (which were not in any way similar to my post here, very calm and supportive of her choices) on her blog and she wanted to make sure the emotional pregnant lady understood where she was coming from AND that she was talking specifically about my brother and my dad and not me. She said she left a caveat in there to exclude some of our family from her blanket statement, but I didn't see it (still don't see that it is very obvious). lol. Good thing she did, 'cuz I was frustrated with her. hahahaha.

2 comments:

steph k said...

I vote that we eat some cake. I'm hungry.

stewbert said...

I WANT CAKE.

Or Cheerios.