Saturday, January 5, 2008

First Prenatal Visit

I saw the midwife yesterday! They gave me a bunch of stuff, samples of prenatals and other things they want me on, and gave me the book What to Expect When You're Expecting, which I almost bought a while back but decided not to. YAY! She also did an ultrasound and recorded it on DVD, so when DH wakes up later and DD is home, they'll get to see the baby, too. There is only one baby (whew) which is measuring right on for my dates, and the heartbeat is 168 bpm. She said everything looked good, but because I'm mildly high risk (I had heart surgery 18 months ago, had gestational diabetes with DD), she wants me to see the OB as well, which I figured would happen. My BP is elevated a bit, so she's having me go back in 10 days to get rechecked and do some blood work. Of course, if you fight with your husband for two days before an appt, your BP will be elevated, but still, better to be cautious ... lol. (side note: we're fine now)

So ... YAY! mostly. I'd had spotting around Christmas time ... Every time we were intimate. I didn't necessarily think it was a miscarriage (pink and brown spotting) but was pretty freaked out. Called the office, and they said no nookie for a week, try again, and then if it happened again to let her know. After the week, we tried again. The first time was okay, but after the second, the spotting was the worst yet. Probably pushed our luck, but hey, my libido is through the roof right now! At any rate, I did talk to the midwife about it and she said to wait a couple more weeks before we try again because of the spotting ... I'd felt a bump on my cervix while checking CP the month we conceived, and of course asked her about it. She told me I have a Bartholin's cyst, and she'd known about it from before, and that it is pretty common and normal. It might also be what is causing the spotting. I had a tiny bit pink discharge after the ultrasound which, of course, was vaginal. So we'll wait.

I did have a brief moment of panic right before the ultrasound that they were going to look and not see anything in my uterus, but calmed myself pretty quickly, reminding myself I haven't had a period in 2 months and I definitely FEEL pregnant, but I was very much relieved when she found the baby right off, too. lol

No comments: