Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Medical and other stuff

Sooooooo ... we had planned to go see that dragon movie (I can't get the name straight) today. Before we left, our washer died. Kaput. We decided to see the movie anyway and deal with the washer tomorrow because we don't get to do stuff like this very often. We got there and the show time was sold out, but the 3D one an hour later still had tickets. Bought the tickets, went to target for baby wipes and diapers (if I have no washer, we can't use cloth!), and went back to the theater. We all liked it, but it gave Kiddo a migraine. great.

Got home, grabbed my paperwork, and went to the hospickle for my followup.

Met with the perinatologist and diabetes educator. It was a different RN than last time and I really liked her. She listened to my concerns and explanations about my sugars, and asked for more input, and I asked her if I could only see her in the future, explaining I didn't love the other one and felt she didn't want to listen to me. She looked really surprised by that, but said she understood. The only problem is this one usually only works on Monday and Friday, and the perinatologist is only in on Tuesday, so the diabetes folks go to the maternal fetal medicine wing of the hospickle on Tuesdays and meet with patients there instead of the clinic -- so they will only schedule pregnant women on Tuesday. Rather than cart the toddler in to 2 different appointments every week, I guess I'll deal. She'll be there in 2 weeks, but next week I have to see the other one again.

The perinatologist wants me to have another echo for MY heart function to make sure everything is okay, and seemed really surprised that my OB didn't have me follow with them last time. She's really wanting to play it "safe" medically, which is fine, since she was okay with me not taking oral medications ... though I'm still hoping baby girl gets to pick her own birthday! Their estimate of her weight is 3 pounds 6 ounces, which we all know could be completely wrong. haha.

At any rate, we've all decided insulin is necessary at this point, and I'm really fine with that. It's just once a day, and I gave myself my first dose right at the end of my 2-1/2 hour appointment (GRAH!) today. It didn't hurt at all, compared to jabbing my finger 7 times a day. Which I still have to do at least for this coming week to make sure the insulin is helping when I'm more resistant, which doesn't seem to be when people typically are. Most people are in the morning until lunch, I tend to be more through the evening and first thing in the morning.

So that's that. Yay.


Kristina P. said...

Oh, that's still super sucky!!

The Boob Nazi said...

I'm glad you met someone you feel listens to you better...

kadyb said...

After I read your blog, I read somewhere else that if 3D movies give you a headache, there may be an underlying vision problem. FWIW.