Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Cell phones and customer service

So, I've had the same cell phone number for nearly 6 years now. I've been with AT&T/Cingular/Spring that entire time (plus 3 years under my folks' plan when we were here and then in Oregon). There were things I wasn't too impressed with at certain points, but meh, it's a phone and all phone companies are out for the money, so whatever. Right?

Wrong.

I went into the Spring store to get hubby a new phone and lower our minutes because we weren't using even a third of them. So, the manager says, "well, this phone is a dollar." Seriously? Sign me up. It doesn't have any features, but hubby isn't about the phone toys anyway. He'd rather never have a phone, but we disconnected our land line, so we needed him to have a cell phone too. And then the manager looked up my usage on our minutes ... and said, "let's get you this other plan." Bam, saves $20/month.

So today, a customer service rep from Spring called to find out my satisfaction of the visit to the store and also to say, "You have the basic media bundle for $10/month, but you're not even using the internet. Would you like to drop it to basic texts? You'll only have 200/month, but you're not even using that many currently." Yes please. Save me another $5/month.

I guess they're not all evil after all.

No comments: