Friday, August 31, 2007

Jump/Flash/Swing Drives

So, our neighbor gave us this computer a while back -- for our family history class since hubby (heaven love him) wouldn't let me download PAF to his computer. Okay, it's his computer, I'm okay with that, but the ladies in the class were horrified I couldn't do anything with his computer (they later asked if they'd offended ME by being so pushy, but he was the one who got up and left and never went back to class. hello??). Anyway. The computer. It is a few years old. It is an IBM. The wife said she thought it was a pretty good computer. And it'll be fine for PAF and the kids playing Neopets on it.

But it is slow.

It only had 128K memory.

WHAT? My swing drive (thanks for the recommendation forever ago, CC) has 512K. It is smaller than a chapstick tube and almost as old as the computer.

Yeah, I'm not kidding.

So one of his gaming buddies gave us a memory card with 256K memory so we can run WoW on both computers, right? (Gosh, I'm an addict ... we're now debating hubby building me a computer for Christmas with the Christmas savings account money -- one of the perks for working at Nestle, they take out the money before you ever see your paycheck, and by the end of the year, we'll either have a really huge Christmas or a good Christmas and pay off a bill or two). Yeah, the memory card KILLED the computer. Which made me really upset -- I'd just moved all of our pictures I'd taken since he gave me the digital camera to the computer and deleted them from the camera. And PAF had been updated, too. *sniff* IBM pre-made computers apparently don't want new ANYTHINGs. He changed it back out for the original memory card and it did NOT want to turn on. He fiddled with it for 15-20 minutes and it finally came back on. I immediately copied the pictures and PAF back to the swing drive. Then I realized it had been a while since I'd backed up my work shortcuts, so I came in here to do it. Yup, it's been a while. Since December. Since I started all new accounts in November and added a whole bunch of stuff in those shortcuts for those accounts through about March, I was horrified. Glad the computer hadn't DIED.

But hey, I'm happy I bought this thing. Well worth the $20 or whatever it was -- it'll save me more money in the long run if/when the work computer does die.

And CC, I'm so budgeting for that thing you showed me for hubby for Christmas ... mwahahahahahah ...

No comments: