Thursday, April 5, 2007

Not all superheroes are created equally.

Take me for instance. I'm Super Stewie, but I'm not impervious to bullets. I don't have x-ray vision. I'm not all that fast, except for my flying fingers at work. I can't stop trains, I can't stretch for miles on end, I'm not invisible, I can't make plants obey my every whim, I'm not able to create a vortex by running in circles ... Worst of all, I can't fly! There are times I float ... but that's usually diagnosed as "vertigo" ... or when hubby kisses me ... ahem. But I am somehow managing to juggle being a mom and a wife and an employee and stuff, although the housework just isn't getting done.

Maybe I need a clone. Super Stewie II.

Okay, seriously. How many superhero movies have come out in recent years? Incredibles, My Super Ex-girlfriend, Zoom, Sky High, Superman Returns, etc. etc. etc.

I LOVE THEM. I will probably buy both Zoom and Sky High eventually. We own the Incredibles. The girlfriend one was pretty lame, although Luke Wilson, as always, plays a cute character.

But here's how all these "super" movies have affected my daughter.

This morning, she's holding barbie baby dolls (they are tiny), running around the house yelling, "Wheeeeeee! They're super babies Mom!!! They're flying!" *thud* (crashes the babies into a wall) "I guess they're not so super after all." *dejected look*

That is just not normal. It's hilarious though. Man, I love that kid.

Y'know. I started wondering if I was really ready to try to have a baby, if I really wanted more kids, if we'd be able to handle more changes, if it would really be worth the pregnancy and the labor and all the pain ... and I came to the conclusion just now that yes, kids are a PITA sometimes, but I have an amazing kidlet who just cracks me up and makes me giggle and she's really a beautiful spirit whom I love very much. And my husband isn't perfect, but I bet we'd still have great kids and our joy will increase exponentially, even if our disposable income decreases again for a while.

I guess it comes down to "kids = joy" and "moms = super" and "husband = amazing" ... so I think we'll be okay.

My ultrasound went fine this morning. Gotta call the doc Monday for the results. Woo.

2 comments:

steph k said...

kids are pitas?? you cannabal! hee hee... just kidding... so anyway... yeah.

stewbert said...

*snort*