Saturday, October 10, 2009

Delays hurt

I just learned that a friend and former classmate passed away quite unexpectedly tonight. We were in band and choirs together, touring around states and making wonderful music. We had planned to be roommates our first year in college, but my life path took me in a different direction than hers. She went on to college and became a band teacher, and I ... lived a very different life.

As a band teacher, she launched music programs in one or two of the smaller schools in the state, and eventually came "home" to the high school from which we graduated 15 years ago. They had just won a band competition and were on the way home, when the bus driver of the woodwind bus passed out. This courageous teacher grabbed the steering wheel and tried to right the bus, but it was already headed off the road. She was thrown from the bus as it rolled and died. Her students, thankfully, lived. Many have broken bones, but all have broken hearts.

Earlier this year, our little chamber choir of 28 voices had planned to have lunch together. For some reason, that didn't happen.

And now it never can.

Delays create regrets, and they hurt.

6 comments:

Jules AF said...

Wow, that really is amazing of her. How courageous. I'm sorry for your loss.

stewbert said...

thanks.

Kristina P. said...

What a tragedy. I am so sorry.

When I read the news story last night, I immediately wondered if any of my blog friends knew the people on the bus.

stewbert said...

Thank you.

I keep remembering the trips we took up there as kids ... She was so much fun, telling stories and jokes, just making everyone laugh. I bet she was in the middle of a story when tragedy struck.

but I bet she's in the middle of another one now.

Kimbooly said...

I'm so sorry to hear about this. Chris Wilson, Rob's brother (Rob's my hubby, of course), is one of the band teachers (I can't remember if he was also coming home but on a diff. bus, or if he teaches at a diff. high school). He is really upset, and knew her well.

stewbert said...

Oh, Kim, I'm so sorry Chris is hurting, too. I don't know Chris, but a lot of people are grieving right now. She touched many people's lives across the state.