Saturday, March 17, 2007

St Paddy's Day!

Yeah, um, I have to work today. BUT, here's what I'm doing anyway for breakfast to torment the masses (my family): GREEN french toast, GREEN milk, and GREEN orange juice. I made GREEN pancakes last year, but they take longer than french toast.

That's as "fun" as I'm getting. We're still doing other stuff, but a 9-hour shift tends to suck the life out of me.

For lunch, we may eat out today -- at Costco. We have to finish the two-week shopping. okay, so it's not a full two weeks. i'll have to go for more produce next weekend, but we are pretty stocked on a whole bunch of stuff. Or maybe we'll come home and have Hot Pockets.

For dinner, it is brisket with cabbage and braised root veggies. Munchkin and I watched food network a couple of nights this week and she asked to try a rutabaga like Rachael Ray used in an Irish dinner with potatoes, carrots, and onions, and I thought, what the heck? Kid is gonna ask for a veggie? I'm darn well gonna let her try it. I've never had one, but bought it and chopped it up and it's ready for the pot.

We'll probably rent a video or two as well. Woooo.

Food network. Watched someone make chicken satay a few nights ago, so I made it last night, with brown rice and zucchini. It was really good, and surprisingly, we all got full really fast. I think between the combination of the whole grain and the amount of flavor in the dishes, it just filled us up quickly. I'd marinated the zucchini in an olive oil, lemon/lime juice, garlic, and pepper marinade, then grilled it. And the satay was also grilled, with a sesame oil, ginger, brown sugar, and pepper marinade, then served with individual bowls of a peanut dipping sauce (which could've used more hot sauce in it, but I digress), which we dipped the chicken in and poured over the rice (hubby has to have some sauce for his rice, can't eat it plain). He also dipped his zucchini in it. Kiddo skipped the peanut sauce but ate the chicken without argument. She didn't dig the zucchini, but that's okay; the lemon was pretty strong. Good, but strong. It was nice to actually make something EVERYONE liked. And the cleanup wasn't that bad -- LOVE my George Foreman grill.

2 comments:

steph k said...

I want a George Foreman grill... we had one at BYU and loved it... got one for grandma and she doesn't use it.. but she's giving it to CUPCAKE. :-P hee hee

stewbert said...

lol. I never would have spent the money on it, but put it on our wedding registry and my brother and his wife (the really thrifty ones!) bought it -- it's one of the few things from our wedding we use every day.