Friday, December 8, 2006

"Is that a + or just a - ?"

Okay, if you haven't bought any pregnancy tests lately (or ever), that is how I spent Thursday. Peeing in a cup, putting a plastic stick into that cup, and waiting for results.

Wednesday, my husband woke up to me being nauseated for the 5th morning in a row and asked me flat out if I was pregnant. The short answer is, "I don't know." The long answer is more complicated.

The crazy thing is that my husband has never been married and his daughter ... well, he wasn't around during the pregnancy, birth, or first 6 years of her life because her mother didn't tell him she was pregnant. Well, okay, she did but said it wasn't his, then disappeared. So, after he repented and served a full-time mission for our church, he came home to a paternity suit and $20K back child support. Because he didn't know about her, the court (and the church) actually sided with him and exonerated all the back child support. The mother has 3 children from different fathers and pulled the same stunt with the third one, only didn't wait 6 years, just one. So, hubby has never been around a pregnant woman really besides his mother, and his youngest sister is only 8 years younger than he is. Very observant. More than a little scary.

I'm not late. Yet. I started out just being nauseated in the morning, then the morning and night, and now it's all damn day. Today is day #7, I think, of complete and total nausea. And fatigue. I'm sleeping more. My husband then spent Wednesday silently freaking out and sleeping most of the day. He's better now. I then spent Thursday silently freaking out, alternately trying to work and trying to convince myself I'm not pregnant and that I'm fine. Which is why I took the (negative) pregnancy test, knowing full well it wasn't an early detection test and that it is still too early to tell if I'm pregnant or not. My garbage can looks suspicious: Full of empty ginger ale cans, saltine packages, and mint wrappers. I've been living on them for a week.

With Munchkin, I was (obviously) married to someone else. I was nauseated from the second she was conceived, which most doctors will tell you is impossible. Liars. My sister, G, gets sick that early, too. Fortunately, my OB then gave me Phenergan, which is a miracle drug for me and keeps me from being nauseated and/or throwing up. For now, I'm sucking on mints and nibbling ginger snaps after I eat anything, and I kind of have to force myself to eat 'cuz everything makes me nauseated. Smells of things makes me nauseated. Ugh.

So, I'm not taking another test until hubby is done with his body building competition next weekend, which was the original plan until he asked me if I was pregnant. Yeah. I dunno. I don't know if I'm pregnant. At this point, I both do and don't want to be. And if I am, I'm going to demand my midwife give me Phenergan so I can be a happy pregnant person.

And if I'm not, next time I tell hubby I'm ovulating, he better darn well listen.

No comments: