Sunday, December 17, 2006

I got a book from a dead man's wife this week.

When I lived in Oregon, the 'rents ordered a lot of Schwan's food from our Schwan's guy, Allen Stephens. We got to know each other pretty well, and then his wife, Sheila, became my writing coach. I love them both a lot and miss Sheila's sweet smiles and encouragement, and Allen's joyful nature. He was a sweetie. I bet he still is, actually.

A couple years ago (after I'd moved back to Utah), he was delivering some stuff at work and got hit by a truck and killed. My parents were out of town, so none of us found out until after the funeral. I emailed Sheila to express my sympathy and condolences, and she actually lifted my spirits. She's a neat lady.

Anyway. Before he died, he'd completed a manuscript for a western novel. His wife got it published after his death. I'd meant to buy a copy of it, if just to support Sheila, but lost the order form she'd sent me. So, for our wedding/Christmas present from her and their two grown sons, she sent me the book.

I cried when I opened it.

Hubby hates it when I cry.

I'd already told my sweet husband about this wonderful man and his loving wife and how special they are to me, and so even though I was crying when I was reading his book today, I just said, "It's good tears, I'm okay, I'm in a good mood, everything is fine." He was relieved.

They're not members of our faith, but they are Christian and they believe they'll be together again after this life. Hubby asked if I had planned to send them any Church videos or anything for Christmas. No, but good idea. I'm off to the distribution center and the post office tomorrow.

So, Allen and Sheila, while I enjoy your book, I'm going to tell everyone I know to buy it. I think you can order it at their website, www.flowersofthespirit.com. If there's not a link to order it there, I know there's a phone number to call. It's $16.95 plus shipping. Buy it! Read it!

No comments: