Thursday, December 13, 2007

Dentists, drugs, and hangovers!

Kiddo went to the dentist for a filling yesterday. Because she suffers from such high anxiety, he cranked the nitrous all the way to the top. Within about 30 seconds, she was very calm and started being silly. A few minutes later, the assistant turned down the nitrous. Munchkin kept saying things like, "I feel goooooooooood," and trying to wave at everyone who came in the room, nearly poking people's eyes out because she was so uncoordinated. She didn't fight any of the work after that, and it didn't take too long to finish her up.

However, as soon as they turned off the nitrous and sat her up, she started crying from a horrible headache and whined the entire time home! She felt like she was going to puke and ended up sleeping it off (which gave me the opportunity for a well deserved and well needed nap myself!).

Being the mom that I am, we had a talk about drugs and alcohol and WHY people do the things they do (because it makes them feel good temporarily), but that they always feel like that afterward. I told her I hope she never has to go through that again, whether it's from a medication at the doctor or choices she makes as an adult, and she agreed.

This on the heels of the sex talk the other day. I guess kids have been talking about it at school. She's in third grade!!!! Gah. At least now she knows where babies come from.

So my normal mantra of "no drinking, no smoking, no drugs, no boys, i love you" as she got out of the car to go into school this morning made more sense to her. hahahaha.

No comments: