Tuesday, November 24, 2009

I gave in.

I'm ashamed to admit it, but I gave in to the manipulation. When kiddo screamed, "You HATE me!" yet again, for the 5000th time today (slight exaggeration), I yelled right back. "You're right, I DO hate you!" She looked shocked. Thankfully. I said a couple of other things about how I don't really hate her, but don't like the behavior, and she left for a minute. When she came back, I also told her that when she accuses me of hating her, it hurts my heart and makes me cry and that I could never hate her. We talked about how you can like someone and not their behavior, and she said she has a boy in her class like that *to whom she has almost said the same thing I did to her!* so I know she knows the difference between loving someone and not loving their behavior.

At any rate, it was a bad night. Things just keep escalating. I don't know what to do with her, though I am trying.

And apparently it put me on edge because, though I usually try to avoid contention, debates, and confrontation, I got into a heated debate with a friend's friend on Facebook about universal health care, in which he may or may not have said Native Americans expect handouts from the government and in which I may or may not have called him and most white people "vanilla" and racist. Um ... I'm mostly white. lol

I need to finish work. Little Mister woke up, cried, and choked, and then I heard silence, so I had to check on him. He was fine, just settling down to sleep again, but I woke him right up. He's now awake watching Cars, so I have a good 15 minutes. Whee.

2 comments:

Kristina P. said...

I hope you have a better weekend!

evitafjord said...

I didn't learn from your lesson :( When Haley shouted I hate you just now, I said So?