Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Oooopium.

So, after reading cc's blog and watching the "I'm an eight" bit, I started thinking about morphine and Lortab and why they make me so sick, but are sooooo great for other people.

My sister told me long ago that I should tell my docs I'm allergic to poppy seeds. If they're in muffins or salad dressings or pretty much anything, they make me incredibly sick with loose BMs. Since opium is derived from them, it would probably have been good had I ever remembered to do so.

So, after my surgery in July, they started loading me up with morphine. I'd puke. They'd give me more a few hours later. I was not lucid and had a tube shoved down my throat so I couldn't tell them the morphine was doing it. They eventually figured it out and switched me to Dilaudid, which worked wonders and didn't make me sick. Go figure.

They also put me on Lortab. I started getting headaches every time I was due for another dose, but we didn't figure it out until I got home and had a full blown migraine that was making me puke. That was some pretty rough 48 hours for EVERYONE at my house (including my parents, my sister, her kids, my then-fiance, and my daughter! in my 1200-sq-ft condo).

Guess what? While looking this all up yesterday, I learned that Lortab and morphine are both opium derivatives, as are Vicodin and OxyContin and codeine. All the fun drugs are off the table for this allergy-prone chica. *sniff*

I guess the good news is that I never could have been a druggie -- even when I was married to one.

No comments: