Saturday, January 20, 2007

Cage Fighting

So, on our third date, hubby told me he wanted to be a cage fighter. I didn't tell him no, just said, "It would scare the hell out of me. And you have a daughter." Sunday night, we watched a movie (finally had our date night) and then had a talk, and I told him if he really wanted to do it, I wasn't going to stop him. The movie? Cinderella Man.

You probably think I'm insane to give him permission after that, but boxing and cage fighting are different. And ... Max Baer wasn't really a bad guy. Go to the link to learn more on him, because he really was pretty cool.

Hubby had wanted me to watch the movie for a while, because it reminded him of us. See, he gets these ideas and then talks to me about them, and I almost never say No. Even if I'm not thrilled about it, I support the guy in his passions, because I love him and he needs to be happy, too. Cage fighting is the reason he started Jiu Jitsu, and one of the reasons he lost some weight. Those fighters are buff.

The thing is, *legitimate* cage fighting looks scary because they're in a cage. But as far as hubby knows (and trust me, he researches fights and watches a lot of them because he loves fighting), no one has ever died from a cage fight. Street fighting, yes. Boxing, yes. Cage fighting? Not so much. There are rules that they have to follow, and one can tap out of a fight. You win by getting points on your opponent, not knocking them out.

So ... I told him to go for it if he wants. He hasn't yet, but uh, I'm just waiting for him to realize what I said and jump into the ring.

'sides. If it really is like the movie, he can win one big fight and buy us a new house where we can live for the rest of our lives.

No comments: