Friday, November 10, 2006

HAPPY FRIDAY!!!

TGIF. Seriously. WHY? Well, found out this week my company is destroying our healthcare bennies (seriously, it's a nasty situation), I've had the flu but am somewhat better today, but my supervisor hasn't ever approved my time off for Mon. and Tues. when I was really bad off, so I'm just waiting for the other shoe to drop from Corporate. Pay cuts? No more paid time off? No more rentention bonus? No Flex-spend account (which we really need for next year to get hubby's dental work done)? Gah. They're lame and if they do cut my pay, I'll be looking elsewhere ... even though when I've looked in the past, no one could touch what I make there. *sigh*

The medical field is going to hell in a handbasket PDQ, and much of that is the pork bellies on Capitol Hill. Sadly, I've considered myself a Republican much of my life, but am now going to register as a Democrat -- a Blue Dog Democrat to be more specific. They support the average American, NOT big business, are pro-life, pro-NRA, anti gay marriage (why can't we do like Mexico City and just call them gay unions -- they get the bennies of married heteros ...) ... I'm thinking of getting more involved in politics. WHY? HIPAA was passed to protect our private medical information from being shared with anyone without our permission. Most people in this country don't know that someone like me exists -- I type medical records all day. I have to comply with HIPAA -- I don't share personal information on anyone, give no specifics when requesting help understanding a doctor, and do my best to provide the most accurate record I possibly can.

Sadly, I've always worked for a company who outsources medical records off shore -- our friends in India get to type them so we don't have to stay up all night. This has always bothered me, and one of the main reasons is that HIPAA can't be enforced in other countries. So, our friends in India (and before anyone gets ornery with me, I have nothing against people from other countries) type your medical records and are not legally obligated to keep that information private. That includes your Social Security Number, if your hospital or clinic happens to identify you by that number. Anyone else concerned about this? Our company insists they do keep it private, but who the heck really knows? Our private medical information is over there, floating around. Not only does this bother me, but it bothers me that my credit card company and my cable company has moved their customer service to India as well, meaning my financial information, including SSN and mother's maiden name, are in another country. Why should my information be anywhere but on Ameircan soil, with other Americans protecting it?

The company I originally started working for almost 4 years ago has been swallowed up by another company, and our bennies are getting cut. The smaller company always did outsource off shore, and it didn't bother me quite as much then ... partly because they did it and still made sure we had good bennies and that we were happy, but the big company insists they can't do that. So. My open-heart surgery this year cost me $4500, hitting my out of pocket max for the first time in my LIFE. Had it happened NEXT year, it would have cost over $10K before I hit my OOP max. And for the privilege of owing more than double the debt, my premium would have remained exactly. the. same. Around 85% to 90% of medical transcriptionists are women. Our corporate employees (most of whom are men), however, get to keep our old insurance. Can anyone say discrimination?

Thank heaven for Nestle and their insurance through hubby. Hopefully they don't decide to become idiots like my employers.

Speaking of hubby, I'm completely and totally jealous of my sweet husband, who has dropped like 40 pounds of FAT in about 6 weeks -- going from a tight 40 waist pair of jeans (which i can now wear, blargh), to a size 34 waist (which he looks *tight* in). Go Moe! He's working very hard to win this competition, and I sure hope he does. :)

6 comments:

stewbert said...

PS. Before anybody gets upset at how fast he's losing weight, he is working out like 2 hours a day and eating a LOT of protein, drinking shakes, eating every couple hours ... he's working with a trainer, too, so he's just fine ... 6 weeks to go in the competition!!!

steph k said...

That totally bites about your company!!! Maybe it's time to start your own... or do some other data entry... but yeah.. insurance.. ugh... my dad didn't lose his but they cut a LOT of stuff when ATK bought Thiokol... it sucked rocks.

and now I have nothing!

and I've never registered under EITHER party.... EVER... I never will either. I have Rob Bishop as my Gov't teacher to thank for that. lol

Anonymous said...

WOAH. That's ridiculous, I can't believe they can just TAKE your benefits. I would definitely look at other companies or protest or something. I guess it is hard to picket when you work at home.

Though I bet Lark would like making signs. hee hee!

stewbert said...

lol, she'd LOVE making signs. hahahaha. cute.

MamaBear said...

check out my comment on related subject at: http://mamabear1001.blogspot.com/

Kipluck said...

Wow, Yeah that does NOT sound like a happy Friday at ALL! GEEZ!